Take a little finger walk over to the app store on either your Android or Apple phone and check out moonshot: solos for your home! I am looking forward to any feedback along the way.
–-> Apple App Store
I’m excited that with support from many along the way and from NCCAkron, was able to build moonshot for the iPad. Although there is an extra step of bringing the app into Xcode when building the app on the Apple device the actual arduous part was right before bringing it into Xcode. Shortly after beginning revamping the look and making sure it was exactly how I wanted before putting it on the Android app store, it stopped working on my phone and I spent a couple of days troubleshooting before realizing my Android device (the Pixel 3a—shh), doesn’t support Vuforia’s AR core anymore. I guess it was a good development because it meant the app worked fine, just not on my phone. Thankfully my partner’s Pixel 3—again shhh phones are expensive—came through.
ANDROID—Bringing the app to the Android store I added a couple of splash menus (one an instruction page “point the device at the floor”) and upgraded the icon with a cute polygon. I researched the dimensions and ways of building that would allow my menus to appear the same on all devices and utilized the “copy component” a lot when trying to get my menus to seamlessly move to one to the other—this feels like early HTML website days actually. The Google Play Console—which is the system you use to upload your app and apply to put it on the Play Store—was not organized in a way my brain really understood. I muddled through, however. They emailed one time after I got into the store and another when they accepted moonshot. They require some pictures, but not as many as Apple. The wait time was approved after my Apple application even though I had submitted my application before the Apple one.
When they finally (felt like forever) emailed me about 3 days after submission, they didn’t like that I mentioned a competitor’s AR Core in the metadata (or description of the product) and I had to delete that before moving forward. They said since the only problem with the App was the metadata when you fixed it, you could simply reply to their request in the “Resolution Center” but there was no way to reply and others online seemed to echo the problem. So I had to resubmit for review and I put in the comments that error in their system (you’re welcome Apple) and what I was re-submitting for so hopefully it would move to the front of the line and I think it did—it was on the app store the next day.
Moving forward is difficult because I no longer have the support of the applications that I had when at The OSU such as Maya and Photoshop. I will be using GIMP moving forward, and am planning on dipping my toe in a little coding for Unity, and probably will get Blender and begin using that to see if I can create something for the remaining data solos I have from other beautiful artists Kylie Smith, Yukina Sato, Menghang Wu, and Jacqueline Courchene.
I am planning on creating a donation page however to supplement my time in creating.